CAS No.: 9003-05-8
Synonyms: PAM, acrylamide, polymers; acrylamidehomopolymer; americancyanamidkpam; americancyanamidp-250; aminogenpa; ap273; cyanamerp250; cyanamerp35
Typical Applications: Oilfield chemicals, waste water treatment chemicals
Polyacrylamide (PAM) is a high molecular polymer, which has good solubility in water, and good flocculability. It can reduce the friction between fluids. According to the ion properties, polyacrylamide could be characterized as 4 types—anionic PAM (APAM), cationic PAM (CPAM), nonionic PAM (NPAM), and amphoteric PAM (ACPAM).Technical Parameters
|Item||Appearance||Molecular Weight (1×106)||Solid Content||Ion Concentration / Degree of Hydrolysis (%)||Residual Monomer %||Application|
|APAM||White granule / powder||3-22||≥88||10-35 (Degree of Hydrolysis)||≤0.2||pH≥7|
|CPAM||White granule||5-12||≥88||5-80 (Ion Concentration)||≤0.2||Centrifugal machine and belt filter press|
|NPAM||White granule||2-15||≥88||0-5 (Degree of Hydrolysis)||≤0.2||pH≥7|
|ACPAM||White granule||5-12||≥88||5-50 (Ion Concentration)||≤0.2||Centrifugal machine and belt filter press|
1. When used for sludge dewatering, polyacrylamide can effectively remove the water in sludge before being treated by filter press. The floccules are big, and they won’t adhere to filter cloth or fall apart during filtering by filter press. The filter cakes are quite thick, while the dewatering performance is desirable—the moisture content is less than 80%.
2. PAM exists in its cationic form in acid or alkaline media, so when polyacrylamide is used as domestic sewage or organic sewage treatment chemicals, it shows great precipitating performance for the suspended particles with negative charges.
3. When used as flocculant for treating tap water originated from lake or river, polyacrylamide is highly efficient, because only a small amount of PAM is needed. Thus the cost will be quite low. Specially, the flocculating performance will be even better when using the mixture of PAM and inorganic flocculants (such as poly aluminium chloride).
1. Anionic polyacrylamide is adopted as an excellent flocculant for the sewage treatment in industries like electroplating, metallurgy, coal washing.
2. Cationic polyacrylamide can be used for treating sewage in industries like textile, papermaking, mining, metallurgy and so on. It is also widely used in oil industry.
3. Nonionic polyacrylamide is usually used for sewage treatment, sludge thickening and dewatering, ore beneficiation, coal washing, papermaking and so on. Its functions include clarification, purification, thickening, and promoting precipitation and filtration. Specifically, its performance will be better with the addition of poly aluminium chloride, an inorganic flocculant.
4. Amphoteric polyacrylamide can serve as water shutoff agent in petrochemical industry. According to the field test, ACPAM shows better performance than non-amphoteric water shutoff agents. In many cases of sewage and tap water treatment, APAM and CPAM can be used together to gain a synergistic effect, and the performance is better that of using APAM and CPAM separately. Besides, using them individually could lead to the formation of white sediment, losing their activity. So it is better to choose ACPAM.
PAM | Wastewater Treatment Chemicals